Here our pumpkin spice muffin mix transforms into a sweet and festive treat!
- 1 bag of ‘Okina Pumpkin Spice Muffin Mix
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 1 ¼ cup of milk of choice
- 1 cup of butter of choice
- 15 oz. powdered sugar (or make unrefined powdered sugar – recipe below)
- Cake decoration such as toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted hazelnuts, chocolate shavings, pomegranates, or dried cranberries
- Whisk the pumpkin puree and milk together well.
- Add your ‘Okina Pumpkin Spice Muffin Mix and whisk well.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes, then whisk well again.
- Divide batter into three 8” cake pans or two 9” cake pans (cake layers will be thin).
- Bake at 350 for 23-27 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a rack.
- In a food processor, or by hand, mix the butter and powdered sugar until combined and fluffy.
- Place a cooled cake layer on a serving platter. Spread about ½ cup of the frosting on the top of the cake layer.
- Place another cake layer on top of the frosted cake, and repeat process two more times.
- Once third cake layer has been frosted, use remaining frosting to cover the sides of the cake.
- Decorate as desired and serve either immediately or store under a cake dome for up to 4 hours.
- If making ahead, the entire frosted cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 days. Remove from the freezer at least 4 hours prior to serving.
For unrefined powdered sugar, place 2 cups of maple sugar and 2 tbsp. of arrowroot powder in a Vitamix or food processor. Blend/process for 2-4 minutes until very fine.